24 Things I Learned Before Turning 25
I turned 25 last week! Since we've been busy re-adjusting to our normal schedule after a trip to the mountains, I reveled in a little extra rest and let go of the pressure to prepare a special birthday blog post. It seems like that act of letting go has become a trend as I enter this new year of life. Lately I've been feeling an interesting shift in my heart. I've been needing a change of scenery, a change in the company I choose to surround myself with and the pursuit of new things that bring me joy. Things are fantastic right now and since this is a time for reflecting, I've realized that the last five years of my life have been the absolute happiest I've ever seen.
24 was a big one friends! I married my soulmate, continued to nourish the bond I have with the sweetest little girl, started a new job with a truly fierce group of women that I love, and all-in-all found Chelsea again. With eyes set on the years ahead, here's what I've learned before turning 25:
photos by Jessica Moore
1. You are made up of the energy that you allow into your life. Surround yourself with support, positive energy and light.
2. Family is everything.
3. It's harder to be truer to yourself than you'd think. Hold fast to the things that you love and refuse to be swayed by those around you no matter how deep the urge to people please runs.
4. Nothing compares to fresh air.
5. "Let your child be your North Star. If I tried to follow other people’s advice, it just wouldn’t necessarily fit in with our life and our way of living, and then I’d end up feeling like I’m not doing it right, which just isn’t empowering as a mother."
6. Always ask for what you want. It doesn't hurt to put yourself out there.
7. Enjoy the peaceful moments of life, at times they can seem few and far between.
8. You are the only person you need to please. see #3
9. Make an effort to keep in touch with people who are far away. It's important to cultivate meaningful relationships and distance does not make the heart grow fonder. Make long-distance friends a priority.
10. Make your own magic.
11. Trends aren't for everyone. Know your style and don't stray far from what works.
12. Never go to bed angry... an oldie but a goodie that couldn't be truer.
13. There's no time for fickle friends. If you're not benefiting emotionally from a relationship, it's time to move on.
14. You are the average of your five closest friends.
15. Spend time curating your home. Everything should have purpose and bring you joy.
16. There's always room for chocolate. And Coffee. Lots of coffee.
17. Special moments are made only when you take the time to make eye contact with loved ones. Put the electronics away. Make sure you're 100% present.
18. Your parents are human.
19. Dancing is good for your soul.
20. Just eat the cupcake/ice cream/donut. Women's bodies are under such intense scrutiny but after school ice cream dates feel so much better than "being good" and sticking to your insane diet.
21. Make things. Leave a little piece of yourself in everything you make and then give those pieces of you away. It's magical to disperse yourself into the universe.
22. Absorb music always.
23. Don't wash your hair everyday, trust me.
24. Say "I love you" as often as possible.